Why you should keep the chocolate to yourself this Easter…

7 reasons to thank your pup this Valentine’s Day
5th February 2018
How to introduce a new puppy to your dogs
5th April 2018

It’s a well-known fact that chocolate isn’t good for dogs. Yet still, when your pooch looks at you with those puppy-dog eyes as you’re polishing off the last Easter egg, it’s tempting. Here’s why you should find an alternative treat.

The facts

Chocolate contains a substance called theobromine which is poisonous to dogs and can cause severe harm. Cooking chocolate and dark chocolate contain more theobromine than milk and white chocolate. Even the smallest amount of chocolate can give your pup an upset tummy, vomiting and even diarrhea. Smaller dogs will be affected easier than larger dogs, and the results can be fatal.

What to do

If you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate, you should call your vet immediately for advice and describe your dog’s symptoms. Increased excitability and hyperactivity are a few of the first symptoms of chocolate toxicity in dogs. Keep an eye out for vomiting and restlessness.

It’s not all doom and gloom

Find dog-friendly treats! Dogs aren’t fussy when it comes to snacks, as you will be well aware. Dog biscuits are sure to go down a treat and on the plus side you can gorge on those delicious Easter eggs yourself. Doggy bakeries are on the rise, so find one local to you and treat your dog to a delicious and safe treat this Easter.